The younger generation

Growing up in America, especially in California, I was very aware that my daily life was the product of the efforts of the generation that proceeded me. I was not a descendant of any of the ´49er gold miners, nor the 1930s Oakies, or the Hispanic missionaries, but I knew I would not be living in California if it weren't for them. The six to eight generations that proceeded me.

Today I am at the Arni Magnusson Institute, doing research that would not be possible were it not for the efforts of a group of people living 300 years ago, and generations stretching back beyond that another 500 years.

Anyhow, it just got me thinking about the obligations we have to the younger generations. These are not obligations in the simple sense just to our own immediate families. They are obligations beyond that, an obligation to build upon that which has proceeded us, and to ensure that the younger generation has some sense of respect and appreciation for all the richness around them today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps