One slight disadvantage

I was thinking like a Californian when I chose my apartment. There were lots of good things about it--layout I was comfortable with, nice cabinetry, cool staircase, right next to a playground--but the thing that really made me so psyched* about it was the view right over Njardvik and across Faxafloi, all the way to Esja. I have mentioned before this is the kind of view a Californian would spend big bucks for.

But of course in California, one does not need to worry about frigid gale force winds. And my apartment, as lovely as it is, is a little bit leaky. I don't suppose one can build a house that is absolutely sealed at ever door and every window and every vent.

When it is really windy outside, I can feel a tiny flow of fresh, cold air come into my house through certain light sockets, from the space around the pipes of one heater.

Because my apartment is at the end of the block, at the top of the hill, it gets the full force of the wind. An Icelander probably would have known better than to move in here in the first place. And I suppose I could go around trying to seal them all.

But I sort of feel like it is the price I have to pay for the decision I made to move in here. It is not so bad, the house is warm enough most of the time, and come spring it won't be an issue at all. I am just going to suck it up** and get through the winter!

California cliche warnings:

* translates as happy and excited but in a longer term sense, has also a sense of commitment to seeing something to the end.**translates as accepting circumstances and trying to move forward from there.

Comments

Anonymous said…
lopapeysur, ullarsokka og teppi ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps