Some sort of beetle

Iceland is basically a bugless country, I mean really even in Lake Myvatn, it is predominantly one sort of bug everywhere. In California, and in the desert, and in the south (both Washington D.C. and Georgia) big ugly bugs of all sorts periodically accost a person. I remember waking up one morning to see a preying mantis standing right in the middle of my headboard, I swear it was wondering whether or not it could eat me. I fled the room. And on my wedding day in Georgia, the cicadas were out, flying around everywhere. None landed on my hair during the ceremony, for which I was grateful.

Just now I noticed something black crawling across my kitchen floor, a little beetle, Not that I am a devout Buddhist or anything, but I really do prefer to scoop bugs up and put them outside, rather than killing them in my house.

This however was an ICELANDIC beetle. Though it was scooting along on its merry way, the moment I put a piece of paper down in front of it--hoping it would crawl on top of it and thus I could carry it safely outside--the little guy froze. Totally froze. I have seen spiders do this (I think this is where the idea of "spidey senses" comes from in Spiderman), but never beetles. Anyhow, I had to take a few steps back, say a few encouraging words, and then eventually it decided to crawl on the paper. Funny thing was it fell over twice trying to get on, and instead of giving up and walking the other way, it persisted, and thus I was able to carry the black beetle safely outside.

No wait, I spoke English to it, not Icelandic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps