The problem with success

In Iceland, more than in any other place I know, when a person is successful at something, shows a talent or an aptitude for this or the other, everyone in the whole country suddenly decides, 'That is the man for the job.' And then it is like no one would even consider interviewing anyone else, if the 'World Famous' painter or whatehaveyou wants to do it, then everyone else backs away and lets them do it. Here I speak from personal experience.

The painter is happy to have work, I am happy to have work. But that does not mean that I do not also want colleagues I can talk to, does not also mean that the overall quality of the product would be improved by greater dialogue, greater involvement. People tend to stagnate at the one thing they are good at, when maybe they would prefer to try, and fail, at something different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps