Frozen vegetables

I realized after getting home from perusing the aisles of Kasko yesterday that I did in fact have a lot of food at home before I went shopping. What I mostly lacked was frozen vegetables, and I guess this gave me the feeling that I had no food at all at home. This is because without frozen vegetables, I can't make the vegetarian dishes I like to have, like burritos with grilled veggies or noodles with Asian veggies.

For almost 20 years now, I have eaten a vegetarian meal once a day (not counting breakfast, that is always meatless). I started this when I was an undergraduate at Berkeley, and I have found it works very well for me, helps me decide what to cook and eat and also keeps me a bit healthier. Plus I heard somewhere it was better for the planet too, since producing meat takes up more resources than producing vegetables does. I am not sure of the environmental argument here in Iceland, since so many of the vegetables need to be imported, so actually I have been eating meat more often here than I did back in California.

I am happy to see my old habit reasserting itself, and now I think I might just institute a no-pork rule as well. Between lamb, fish, and chicken, I should be good!

Comments

Valur said…
Ekki kemur það mér á óvart að þú skulir borða meira kjöt hér. Allavega fyndist mér það ekki skrýtið að það væru fleiri grænmetisætur í Kaliforníu heldur en hér. Ég held að þeim mun nær sem þú ert heimskautspólunum þeim mun færri grænmetisætur á maður eftir að hitta. Þó að eskimói eigi sér draum um að gerast vegan er það honum líklega erfiðara en manneskju sem er mediterranian. Hann veiðir bara hvali og seli fyrst hann fær enga ólífolíu.
Lissy said…
I had a vegetarian burrito for dinner tonight, thought you'd be happy to know. And only a wee bit of lamb in my sandwich at lunch.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps