The king

I have a number of dresses in my suitcase that were in the back of my closet at home in California, now destined for Iceland. I have no idea if they will like it there, but since they were mostly thin silk shell dresses, rather than a poofy affair, I decided to stick them in my luggage. 

I wonder if they will get much use in Iceland, none of them being black and Icelandic women tending only to wear black at formal occasions.  

But I do know at least one of them will get some use this Friday night, when I am having dinner in Uppsala Castle. The king won't be there, which is a good thing, since the dress I most want to wear is the same one I wore when I met King Gustav in 2002 (not that he'd remember, but that is just tre gouche). 

I hope Professor Mitchell will be willing to dust off his dancing shoes to take a whirl with me on the floor like he did in Alaska a few years ago at another academic conference (after I went up to him and said, 'Come on, let's dance' -- having met this Harvard professor the day before, it seemed like the appropriate thing to do). If not, anyone sitting alone at a table should watch out. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
hmm, no, I for one don't even have a black dress, except for singing at funerals. Do wear your coloured dresses and outshine all the boring black-dressed women ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps