A lot has changed since January

On the way out to Thingvellir just now, Palmer commented that the bits of snow still on the mountains was "Christmas snow". And that got me thinking, about how long that snow had been there, and really how much has changed since the beginning of the year. Iceland got a new government, my brother died, the exhibition opened, Palmer came here after Dave and I signed a custody agreement, I mean it has been an extremely tumultuous and memorable year for me. And it is only a little more than half over. 

So when we got to Thingvellir, it seemed fitting to see the burned out remnants 
of Valholl hotel, which I headed straight for. I no longer find walking down Almannagja the exciting thing it was 
when I was a kid, and prefer instead to make my way down to the river, and the flat area along the banks. This is anyhow where the Althingi actually met in the Viking Age, here where the river meets the lake, and not up in the narrow passage of the cliffs, that is my thinking.

Before we left we went to my favorite place, the deep pool near the bridge to the hotel. The water is so clear that one can see all the way down into the recess, and that spot has always mesmerized me. 

People have started throwing coins in there, and I threw one in too. I told Palmer that we should wish for Amma to have a better year next year.   


Comments

ג. ג. said…
I like the colors reflecting from that pool. No picture can give that affect.
Lissy said…
I tried one shot straight down into the pool, but I agree, it just did not do the depth justice. A picture of course makes all that is 3 dimensional 2 dimensional, which is just a shame.

And the color of the water, just amazing.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps