High and low and everything in between

There were a great many things about Prague I did not know, and really ought to admit to being lax on looking things up on the internet about it before I got here. Now that I am here, I am more and more impressed by the minute. Although York is still my favorite European city. I decided today that Prague is my favorite European capital. Such an amazing variety of architectural styles and such a sense of solidity, of history, this place has been and will be. But oddly work-a-day. deregulated. Kitchy tourist shops right up to the palace gate. No hiding the fact that they expect you to pay if you break a glass at their restaurant (which I of course did today - me, not Palmer. Yeah, I'm slick). Cafes open while in the midst of redecorating (rather Icelandic, I would say, in that respect). So even though I have never seen Paris, the extent to which this city bypasses Athens and Brussels and London just in terms of making a person feel welcome, feel part of the fabric of what is happening here, it is really quite amazing. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps