Greenland

Today I booked two flights, one to New York next week (to get objects for the Faeroes case - don't ask), and another one to Greenland. That one is on May 29th, the first direct flight from Iceland for the summer, but I will not be able to return until June 1st, because the return flight on the 29th was all sold out (I guess Greenlanders were anxious to leave!).

I hope while I am there to find out a bit more about the carvings they make, tupilak. I have one, and when it was given to me, my colleague could not remember which face was the evil face and which one benevolent. But since it topples over if it is turned one way, and not the other, I decided that must be the good side. Two weeks from now I can find out for sure. 

The main thing I am looking forward to though (besides getting my hands on the artifacts for the show) is walking around Nuuk. I have never been there before, but if it is anything like the parts of Greenland I have visited, I believe it will renew me. Such is the power of the place. I am sure a part of my soul is still lurking on the southern tip, where the melting glaciers turn the ocean a milky blue. 

Comments

ג. ג. said…
I hope you'll have a great time in Greenland. I really want to visit there one day.
Alxmrfi said…
Me too!
How much did you pay for a flight to Greenland (return) ?

From here in England you have to fly from Denmark, and it's very expensive.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps