Cheese Experiment


I have a lovely little hand-blown glass creamer, the guy who made it (Larús) is Icelandic but it was part of a series he made while living in Denmark. He blew glass into weather worn, hollowed-out logs, and then finished the pieces as they cooled. They retain the natural contours of the decaying wood; that which was the interior of the wood is now the exterior of the glass item. When he moved back here, he had only a few pieces left from that collection, and no way to make more. I was so enamored with this series, the way the items fit into the palm of my hand especially, that I bought his last creamer, decided I did not care that there was no matching sugar bowl. (thankfully, a few weeks later, a friend gave me a Jensen salt server which I decided to turn into a sugar bowl. I find that the glass creamer and the metal sugar bowl, both Danish in origin, work well together). 

Anyhow, that is background for this story. Which is not really for the squeamish. 

Although the creamer sits out on my table all the time, I do not have company all that often, so it is usually empty. But at some point in time recently, I put cream in it and left it sitting out. Several days (perhaps even weeks) later, lo and behold, the cream had started to turn into cheese! Seriously, Icelandic dairy products are so clean (and my little creamer too I guess), that it did not turn into a moldy stinky mess. No, just nice soft cheese, floating in a clear,viscus substance. I have not been brave enough to eat said cheese yet, but I will, by golly I will. This is the sort of thing I moved to Iceland for, to get back to nature. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps