The mayor of beantown

Yesterday I was talking to my mom, trying to explain to her just what deep sh*t Iceland is in, financially speaking. So I was telling her about a conversation at work last week; Gunnar and I were talking about what would be best to do. The problem is that the mayor, who is a really unbelievably fabulous guy in my opinion, has also slightly over extended himself, I mean he just did not imagine the crash would be as bad as it has been, which is entirely understandable. So now he is scrambling a bit, trying to decide what kind of progress can be made on which projects. My first instinct is to do whatever we have to do to help the township as much as possible, to have a sense of team spirit and good will, and definitely not to complain. But then on the other hand, given that only the most urgent problems are going to receive any attention from our war weary mayor, another part of me feels like sending up the red flag, demand that he take matters into his own hands and do something about our situation specifically.

This latter strategy is often employed by non-profits all over the U.S., who will be entirely ignored unless they paint a picture of full blown disaster. But I do not think it would work well here in Iceland, since everyone knows that everyone here really is very, very vested in the community.   

Comments

S. Kristjansson said…
hi lissy. Nice blogsite.
I was just stumbling around, and noticed that a link in your "blogsites in english" secition is not working. I wanted to try the last link, Icelandtalks, and the problem is that it is linked as WorlD press instead of wordpress.
Lissy said…
Thank you, the link has now been fixed.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps