Bananas

I do not know if this is because I am living in Iceland now, and my body needs some extra nutrient due to the cold and dark, or if it is just one of those things that happens as people's taste buds develop over time, but I noticed a few days ago that I have actually started to like the taste of bananas. I mean, I have eaten them in California, of course, but I found ripe ones far too sweet to even eat, and so if I was going to eat one, it was always the hardest greenest banana I could find, which actually are not very good either. Last week I was at Kasko, and without really thinking about it, grabbed a bunch of bananas. When I was paying for my groceries, I looked at the bananas on the conveyor, and thought it was a bit odd that I was buying those, figured I might not even eat them (but I would have put them in the freezer for use in some baked good at some point in time).  About three days ago, I grabbed one in the afternoon, ate it by itself just as a snack. Then the next day, I put another one in my Cheerios. Yesterday all I ate for breakfast was a banana, and I really enjoyed it. 

So I am now working on a theory that bananas imported here to Iceland are harvested in just such a way to stop them from ever getting too overbearingly sweet and soft, no matter how ripe. The paradox of a tropical fruit in the sub-Arctic. 

Comments

Ko-Leen said…
a couchsurfer once told me that Iceland is Europe's biggest banana producer.
And the only one.
Dinner still on Sunday ? Please?
Lissy said…
Yessiree bob, Kolleen, my house is your house!
Ko-Leen said…
good news, after all I might have a surprise for you!

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps