"sem" eða "og"?

Modern Icelandic differs from Old Icelandic (which I learned in school) in of course a number of ways, the vocabulary being especially changed (names for weapons and wounds are oddly enough less important these days). But I find myself continually stumbling over the fact that modern Icelandic has expanded the meaning of the word "og." That word has the same historic root as "and" in English, and indeed is still used in that way: it marks objects in a series (I bought eggs and bread and milk at the store). In that sense it signifies equality, that all the objects mentioned are equally important.

But modern Icelandic also uses "og" in places where English would use a subordinate conjunction, such as "that" or "which". For example, in English we would say, "A law was passed that makes it legal to hunt whales" but in Icelandic they say, "A law was passed and it is legal to hunt whales." There is an implied hierarchy there, based on which statement comes first, but really such a construction requires the readers/listeners to recognize the logical subordinate position of the subsequent phrase, even if there is no explicate linguistic marker signifying that relationship.

Old Icelandic used to mark this more clearly, through the use of the word "sem" (translated as "that"). When I speak modern Icelandic, I sometimes find myself saying "sem" when I ought not, just because my linguistic habitus wants to more clearly articulate which is the subordinate clause. But that really is so old school of me. Modern Icelanders can tell without anyone saying so.

Comments

Iris said…
Ha, I wonder when that change started occuring. I still learned "sem" as the proper word and can't remember anyone correcting me to "og" while I was there. A lot seems to happen within 8 years.
Lissy said…
Oh, if you read the news and stuff, sem very rarely gets used. I don't think it is exactly incorrect to use it in those contexts, it is just that "og" can fill in the job practically all the time. That is my impression, but you are the linguist! Come on to the island and check it out. I smell a research grant...
How is it done in German? Doesn't und have a very limited application?
Iris said…
I was indeed pondering possible articles I could write about this :) Anthony will be applying to a conference at the University of Iceland in June. So we're definitely coming then if nothing comes together beforehand.
Und is just like the English "and". It can only mean that one thing.
Alxmrfi said…
Hi Lissy,

Very interesting, it's little insights into Icelandic that are quite rare to find and very interesting and helpful when you stumble upon them...

Please post more:)

Ég er líka að læra íslensku en ég finn hún mjög torveld.
Hvað líkar þér að búa í Islandi?

Gaman að hitta þig!

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps