Nóg af fiskum?

Living on a small island in the middle of the North Atlantic has certainly increased my awareness of how resources are being utilized; they seem finite and not infinite, precious somehow. And it is a little scary, truth be told. When this whole collapse first started, I was seriously worried about having enough to eat, but then a friend of mine told me not to worry, það er nóg af fiskum (there are plenty of fish). Well, tonight a relative explained that the reason it is necessary for Icelanders to kill whales is that the whales are eating the fish, competing with humans, such that there really aren´t enough fish anymore. I then ask if the dead whales are put to good use--the meat eaten, the oil rendered, the bones used--and after being assured that they were, well, I guess I came to side with the idea that the fish are a pretty precious resource, worth fighting for. Though now I may be swinging to the extreme, where only Icelanders should be allowed to consume them. Scratch one more export off the list.   

Comments

Ko-Leen said…
I ate whale in Reykjavík. A good whale steak is better then a beef one.
MamaOlive said…
I've always admired how Iceland decides for herself when to whale, and won't be bullied by PETA or whoever.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps