Niceland Police

I have had three run ins with the Icelandic police. The first time a cop pulled me over when I was speeding, invited me to come sit in his car while he wrote up the ticket, and then offered me a 20% discount if I paid the fine right there on the spot. The second time some cops noticed me looking a bit lost and gave me a lift to the bus station. The third time they came to my work to tell me about some messages they had received indicating I might be harmed (turned out to be a huge misunderstanding). Everytime I have been just so impressed with how calm and professional and human they were. So, I have come to agree with Alda, who always calls this place Niceland. Even when everyone was protesting police abuse in dispersing the crowds gathered around the Alþingi, I still did not change my mind, since of course one's personal experience will always outweigh the words of others. I felt it was nice to know someone was looking out for me, making sure things did not turn really ugly.  

Certainly I have had my share of speeding tickets in the U.S., and even saw the inside of a police station when I was 7 (my parents never let my sister take me to the beach again), but I never had this feeling of safety and security. Maybe because the Icelandic police have always taken the time to really listen, before snapping to judgment. Seriously, my sister was not in possession of anything, I remember, I was there, but who was going to listen to a 7 year old kid?

Comments

Iris said…
Ok seriously I NEED to know the story about your sister and you on the beach and also WHY the Icelandic police got messages of you being hurt?
Lissy said…
Well, we'll have to skype one of these days honey!

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps