Clapping protocal

Knowing when, and how, and for how long to clap during any sort of performance or sporting event or special event is always a bit of a trick. And anthropologists note that this varies by culture also, which makes it even more difficult for me living here in Iceland. I´m the sort that has indeed initiated claps in huge auditoriums full of people, suggesting perhaps that I am too expressive and/or too easily impressed. So when we had our little "key turning over ceremony" on Friday, I wanted to clap on several occasions, but decided instead to hold myself back. I was so relieved when someone else started a clap, and I jumped right in, probably going on too long and too loudly. I noticed the mayor was doing a much more modest clap. 

Comments

Elísabet said…
know what you mean. but what is "appropriate" when it comes to clapping and who gets to decide?
Anonymous said…
Oh, I often initiate applause too. Somebody has to ;)
Lissy said…
Beta, it is less of a decision and more of a feeling.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps