Brauð

I am sure I am not saying anything that American tourists would not notice their first morning in any of the Scandinavian countries: the open faced sandwich phenomena. Where is one supposed to put one´s fingers while eating such a meal? On the slimy meat? On the greasy cheese? And the funny thing is, Scandinavians just call it "brauð" as if there was not so much stuff piled on top of it that the bread is either almost falling apart of unrecognizable as such. I am sure it is terribly American of me, but I really do prefer a nice normal sandwich, two pieces of bread neatly containing all the stuff inside. Or if I am to eat one open-faced, the bread needs to be toasted rather crispy so it can handle all the toppings.  

Comments

Iris said…
This is actually how we eat our bread, too. At least we call it "belegtes Brot", i.e. Bread with topping. But since German bread has a CRUST (I know something unheard of for Americans ;-), there is no issue where to hold it, just put your fingers on the side.
Let's skype soon. I miss you!
Thordis said…
I think what you are talking about is the Scandinavian "smorrebrod" which is not really Icelandic. You get them at the restaurant "Scandinavia" on laugarvegur and a few others for instance. The trick is to use a knive and a fork :)

Some Icelanders do eat open-faced bread but the only ones I have seen have one slice of hangikjöt on it or something. But I would eat all USA sandwiches with a knive and a fork.... and got plenty stared at while doing it :) :)

Hope things are good and that you are getting ready for CA. Hopefully the dinner will be planned at one of those places when you get back.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps