Time change

Last weekend, the United States "fell back", everyone set their clocks back one hour to accommodate the shorter days, thus meaning that most people's normal time to wake up corresponds to around sunrise, rather than when it is still dark. I've already lamented that a similar practice is not done here. But even more perplexing to me is the use of a 24 hour clock to tell the time of meetings or talks. A talk at 4:30 in the afternoon is said to be at 16:30, which of course makes sense. But then I convert it in my head to 4:30, and then the next time I think about it, I wonder if the talk is at 14:30, in other words 2:30 in the afternoon. Thus I am constantly double checking my email just to make sure I've got it right, always feeling like I'm loosing 2 hours from everyday. Sigh. 

Comments

Ko-Leen said…
24 hour clocks get me too. I do not understand why they are used. I always though common sense explained it all. If I am suppossed to work 9-1, I have no doubt that it is only one in the afternoon not one in the morning. The same as meeting someone at 5 - I would never make a plan for 5 in the morning, so it must be evening?
Lissy said…
exactly! A talk at 4am would be pretty darn ridiculous!

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps