Always on the move

One thing that is remarkable about California is that just about everyone there comes from somewhere else. I knew very few kids whose family had been in California more than two generations, and almost all my friends have moved out of the town where we all grew up. Just now I was reading Íslenzkar Æviskrár, which describes in brief the lives of important Icelanders living between 1500 and 1900, or thereabouts. Everyone I've read about was on the move constantly, going to Denmark, to Rome, living in this farm and then that, heading off to Stockholm, then moving around from this farm to that again back in Iceland. I guess that is why I feel somewhat at home here, this tendency towards outward movement instead of inward stillness sits better with me. Even if it is the same tendency that caused the collapse of the banking system.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps