Lopapeysa

Icelandic sweaters with a curved geometric design across the sweep of the shoulders, called lopapeysa, are one of the handicrafts really unique to Iceland. What is nice in my mind is this is what we call in folklore a "living tradition"; Icelanders continuously work on the basic form, improvising. I have two of the traditional types, knitted of undyed wool and with beautiful silver buttons down the front. But yesterday my cousins gave me one of the new-style lopapeysa, a pull over, short sleeved version that really highlights the design around the collar. I wore it all last night and am considering wearing it again today. This reminds me of the reaction I had many years ago to the very non-traditional sweater that my grandmother knitted for me when I was 9 or 10, wearing it everyday in California, no matter the weather. I didn't even care that all my elementary school class-mates relentlessly made fun of me for this. A fashion "maverick". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps