Afraid of heights

Today again some man I just met got extremely concerned about my well being, as I stood right on the edge of the second floor of our exhibition hall, overlooking a 4 meter drop, with no hand railing of any sort. Of course the railing will get installed before we open to the public, but as it is now, I mount stairs consisting of a loose wooden frame to access the 2nd floor, which is covered with thick plastic, in my high-healed boots usually, and stand on this edge, looking down. All the men I work with hover next to the wall, as far away from this edge as they can get, and occasionally one of them says something to me, asks me to step away from the edge or whether or not I'm afraid of heights. Usually I just say, "Nope" very calmly, but today I thought to add that I was a diver. That is maybe a small exaggeration, but diving is really big in California, certainly I dove into our pool every time I went in, and us kids usually jumped off the roof into the pool when our parents weren't home. I am therefore developing a theory, that the reason so many Icelandic men (and I say men only because I only work with men, could be most women too) are afraid of heights is there are not enough swimming pools in people's back yards here in Iceland, for them to recklessly and dangerously propel themselves into.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps