Last names

The Icelandic naming convention of giving a child a first name and then a last name comprised of the father's first name plus the suffix -son or -dóttir, depending on gender, is fairly well known. But it presents a problem for foreigners living here. I recently met a Canadian lady who married an Icelander and decided on a unique compromise solution: she took her husband's exact same last name, making her Karen Sturlaugsson. Not only is this pronounceable for Icelanders, but it also lets them know instantly what the situation is. And in a country where everyone likes to fancy they know everyone else, this is a plus.

Comments

William said…
Should I change my name to Augustsson before comming up to visit?
Diana Wilson said…
My husband is Sveinsson, I kept my maiden name, Wilson, and the kids last name is Árni´s 'middle' name, Vikingur. Try getting a non-Icelandic family to understand THAT one! (and no, they still don't get it....you should see the holiday card addressing)
Lissy said…
Good thing you didn't have a girl, Diana! Then it would be even worse.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps