Sehr primitiv

My German is not great; I studied it just enough to become proficient at reading it. But today I understood most of what the German translator was saying, partially I'm sure based on the fact she was relaying what I had just said in English, and we were talking about Viking ships, a well known subject for me in several languages. But then I caught her telling the group they could come see the reconstructed traditional Icelandic cottage next to the ship, a cottage which she described, without prompting from me, as "sehr primitiv." I was offended. I'd like to think it makes me Icelandic, that my grandfather grew up in a cottage much like that one. I'd also like to think it makes me Icelandic that I said so right in front of everyone, but perhaps that was the American in me.

Comments

Iris said…
Um, I guess both parts in you would make you suitable for telling everyone right then and there :)
And why don't *I* have that job. I certainly would only translate what you tell me!

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps