Bad Neighbor

People get lost up here in Vallaheiði all the time; the street marquees still say the old names from when this was a military base, but the residents know the streets by different names (the new names that will, one day, get marked).  And the building numbers and apartment numbers are also in a strange order, following some military logic that escapes most of us. So, occasionally Icelanders knock on my door, like this evening, and when I answer, they say an individual´s name, nothing else.  From this I infer that I am naturally supposed to know the names of all my neighbors, and which apartment they are in. Unfortunately, I grew up in Southern California, where one rarely knows the names of even immediate neighbors, let alone whole blocks full. I have no idea how one acquires this sort of information, even though people I have never spoken to seem to know I´m the American at the end.  

Comments

Unknown said…
Once I went for a walk with my LA grandfather around his block. A child who lived next door to him said hi (from the latter's yard, seeing my grandfather emerge from his house) and my grandfather scolded him, "Didn't your parents teach you not to talk to strangers?"

Earlier this year I voted in LA. The person ahead of me in line at the polling place gave his address as XXX apartment 502. I live at XXX apartment 503, but I'm sure I had never seen him before or since. I live in a building full of people who have the same employer, most of whom are new to the area, but the only residents with whom I have exchanged more words than it takes to navigate the laundry room were the ones at whose moving sale I bought my sofa. It took me four months to discover by accident that another lecturer in my academic unit (which comprises ca. 8 full- and part-time teaching staff) lived in the same building, one floor down, but he seemed rather taken aback when I knocked on his door, and I have not repeated the offense.

LA may be a bit extreme in this regard. In Iowa, we knew our neighbors.

Popular posts from this blog

Dett í, ofan á, úr, út

Twitterverse

The sky weeps